Sunday, January 29, 2012

Paint your ceilings with Color!


HGTV

I love seeing ceilings painted colors other than white. Years ago when we were looking for our first house, we saw many old houses with big wraparound porches. Those porches all had ceilings painted a beautiful soft blue, and I wondered why that had become a fixture on old porches, yet interiors continued to follow the white ceiling rule. I know that white reflects light and brightens up a room. But really, don't you think a pale shade of blue or green or yellow or even lavender would warm up a room and still allow enough light to bounce off? I think that the right color on a ceiling can soften the atmosphere and create a relaxed space. There are lots of options. You can paint the ceiling the same color as the room, and it will make the room look more spacious by  removing the line between the wall and the ceiling. If you use a darker shade on the ceiling than on the wall, then you create a cozy feeling. making the ceiling appear lower. A lighter shade of the wall color or a pale shade of another color can add elegance. A white walled room with a brightly colored ceiling can look dramatic.
I have a very unusual ceiling in my living room which I believe will lend itself to a subtle color. I haven't decided which color yet, in fact  I STILL have not decided on a color for the walls yet, but I do know that I am going to paint a beautiful pale shade of  paint on the ceiling! Here are some pictures of painted ceilings which may inspire you to paint your own ceilings!

Benjamin Moore

Martha Stewart


Addicted 2 Decorating




Conspicuous Style

Young House Love

via fiveoeight

Traditional Home


3 comments:

  1. The only time I paint a ceiling white is if the wall colour doesn't have a suitable companion (ie red). Don't you find white ceilings get dirty in no time? ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to do that, I have the spare room now and might try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your inspiration photos, so pretty. I've always loved pale blue ceilings, makes me feel like I'm looking at the sky.

    ReplyDelete